Self-defense Seminar for Oppressed Peoples
at SSG▾905 E 8th Street, Downtown LA, 90021
***REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED***
In this seminar, taught by Eve Torres Gracie, we will learn simple and effective ways to protect ourselves and each other! These techniques allow people of any size or athletic ability to defend themselves against violence. Instruction will be in voice and ASL.
In this 3-hour seminar, we will learn:
- What constitutes violence
- How to prepare for the most common and dangerous threat scenarios
- Well-tested psychological and physical self-defense tactics based on the principles of Gracie Jiu Jitsu
Wear work-out clothes with sleeves. We will be practicing on martial arts mats with shoes off.
Bring a water bottle. Snacks will be provided.
- All participants will be asked to sign a liability waiver form at the seminar.
- Participants 17 and under must have a legal guardian sign for them. Check the box for “17 and under” in the Registration Form and we will email you a waiver — have your guardian sign it beforehand and then bring it to the seminar.
This seminar is for those who are the most likely to experience violence — people who are trans/queer, femmes, womxn, disabled, neurodivergent, Muslim or perceived to be Muslim, refugees, immigrants, and/or people of color. Please consider your privilege in relation to these various communities and come humble and ready to learn.
Raising Funds for the Standing Rock Water Protectors
The suggested donation is $5-30. No one will be turned away for lack of funds. All donations will go to the Water Protectors at Oceti Sakowin Camp. #NODAPL #STANDINGROCK
- Free parking in the lot; enter on Gladys Street
- All gender restrooms will be provided for the day
- Instruction in English by voice and in American Sign language
- Interpretation in Spanish, Cantonese, and Vietnamese will be available
- Wheelchair accessible and on the building’s first floor
- Please DO NOT WEAR SCENTED PRODUCTS; there are no windows in the main event space (learn more about Multiple Chemical Sensitivity)
Please contact svan (at) equalaction (dot) org about any additional accessibility issues and we will do our best to accommodate
About the Instructors
Head Instructor: Eve Torres Gracie
Eve Torres Gracie is known as a three-time WWE women’s champion and an actress in film and television, but her true passion is sharing Gracie jiu-jitsu based self-defense with those who need it most. She, along with other qualified assistant instructors will be offering this safe, fun, community-building seminar that is open to anyone willing to commit to one belief – that they are worth defending.
Assistant Instructor: Annia Bello-Forte
“I am both a student and an instructor and I’ve had the privilege and pleasure of working with and learning from truly amazing instructors. I started on a day like this, with a women’s self-defense seminar. I have been training for 3 years as of January 12, 2014 and since that day I have never looked back. I started due to an incident at work and this journey has given me self-confidence, self-awareness, inner strength and peace, I have become a better person because it. This journey has been very empowering and my wish is to give to others what was given to me.”
Members of Viet Unity-LA and Equal Action will facilitate an opening discussion on what constitutes violence as well as a closing community circle.
Want more info? Contact Steph at svan (at) equalaction (dot) org.